Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Jeni Merilatt


When Jason and I first came up with this idea I had a list of people that came to mind right away. Jeni was one of those people. She and I met a few years back when we were both involved in the Bellevue Chamber Chorus. We were seated next to each other, and clicked instantly! We sounded GOOD together. It was like hearing my voice come out of someone else in many ways.

A few weeks after the season's rehearsals began, Jeni came up to me at the end of rehearsal and said, "Cari, I just want you to know that I have breast cancer and just started treatment. So next week, when I see you, I won't have hair. I just wanted you to know." I didn't know what to say! Here she was going through this horrific experience (for the second time, I later found out) and she was more concerned for my feelings than her own. I didn't need more reasons to admire her, but this definitely put her in high regards for me.

Jeni is still active in the Bellevue Chamber Chorus and for the past year has taken up being an accompanist for local high school and college students. She loves that she gets to experience all of this music that she otherwise would never have performed. Now she's thinking about giving teaching voice lessons a try. As a vocal coach myself, I think she would be a great teacher! But that might have to wait until after they finish moving into their new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment